Meet Scott A. Spiro, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Message to my Patients: Our Mission at Spiro Plastic Surgery
We want every patient to know that they are special and unique. We work tirelessly on their behalf to keep them as safe as possible while at the same time, achieving their desired goals of our Plastic Surgery Management. I have a long-standing tradition of providing excellence of care whether it is a surgical procedure or in office Botox, fillers or a procedure within our aware winning medical spa.
My large, professional, and experienced staff are there to meet all patient needs at all hours of the day and night and we strive to exceed patient expectations. This is seen in the more than 3000 patient testimonials and reviews you can find online, a true testament to my more than 23 years of dedication, hard work, and surgical skill set forth on behalf of our patients.
We strive to provide the most comprehensive pre and post-surgical care in a comfortable office setting, and operating facilities with experienced nursing and anesthesia staff.
We want your experience at Spiro Plastic Surgery to be positive and life changing!
Dr. Spiro received his Medical Doctor degree from University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School in 1988. He then did his surgical internship at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York followed by four more years of General Surgery Residency including a Chief residency in General Surgery at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, NJ in 1993.He then went to Miami, Florida where he completed his Plastic Surgery training at the University of Miami School of Medicine under the world-famous Plastic Surgeon Dr. Ralph Millard Jr, M.D.. Dr. Spiro chose to add to his Plastic Surgery training by doing an additional fellowship in Craniofacial Plastic Surgery at Miami Children’s Hospital, Cedars Medical Center and the University of Miami under S.A. Wolfe M.D.. In 1996, Dr. Spiro began his private practice in Plastic Surgery affiliated with St. Barnabas and has remained here in this location now into his 23rd year.
Dr. Spiro maintains board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery Inc and has re-certified his board certification status on two separate occasions over the past 20 years as a sign of his commitment to education.
Recognition/ Credentials/ Achievements
Dr. Spiro was selected as “Top Doctor” in NJ Top Docs 2013-2018
Dr. Spiro was selected as on of NJ Monthly’s Top Doctors the following years 2007, 2008, 2010-2018
2015 Dr. Spiro appears on the cover of NJ Monthly Top Docs Edition
2013 Diamond Ball Honoree for excellence in Breast Cancer Reconstruction
In 2011, Dr. Spiro was selected as one of NJ Savvy’s Top Doctor’s
In February 2010, Dr. Spiro was selected as “Best Physician” specializing in Plastic Surgery in NJ by Savvy Magazine
In 2009 and 2010, Dr. Spiro was selected by the Consumer Research Council of America as one of America’s Top Surgeons.
In 2008, Dr. Spiro was selected by Castle Connelly Medical LTD as one of the nation’s “Top Cosmetic Surgeons”
In 2008, Dr. Spiro participated in a ground-breaking art exhibit at APEX Art, NYC, called Plastic Surgery as Art where his patients were featured as art. This exhibit received noteworthy review in the Sunday NY Times Art Critic Section.
In 2007-2008, Dr. Spiro was elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America.
In 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 Dr. Spiro was listed as one the America’s Top Plastic Surgeons.
In 2006 and 2007, Dr. Spiro voluntarily recertified his boards in Plastic Surgery as the highest commitment to continued education in plastic surgery.
Dr. Spiro has authored numerous papers in the field of General and Plastic Surgery, chapters in text on Plastic Surgery, and was recognized for his assistance in the development and creation of a text in rhinoplasty.
In 1996, Dr. Spiro published an important paper on Breast Reconstruction. It discusses the use of the TRAM (Transverse Rectus abdominis Musculocutaneous) flap for a type of breast abnormality. The paper appeared in the Annals of Plastic Surgery and was written by Dr. Spiro in 1995 during his Plastic Surgery training at the University of Miami.
Dr. Spiro is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomate of the following:
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Spiro is a member of or has been a past member of the following professional organizations:
- American Medical Association
- Alumni Association University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Fellow Southeast Surgical Congress
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Essex County Medical Society
- American Physicians Art Association
- D. Ralph Millard Plastic Surgery Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate/Craniofacial Association
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- New York Society of Plastic Surgery
- Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons
- New Jersey Plastic Surgery Society
Dr. Spiro has accomplished the following:
- Member, Operating Room Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2011-2013
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-2013
- Member, Safety Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-2013
- Member, Breast Center Program Leadership, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2009-2013
- Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2007- 2011
- Vice Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2003-2006
- In 1995 Dr. Spiro co-authored a chapter on Aesthetic and reconstructive facial bone surgery. The chapter, co-authored by Dr. Spiro, appears in Grabb and Smith Textbook Plastic Surgery. The book is considered a must read for all plastic surgical residents and fellows across the country, and is one of the most widely published plastic surgery texts.
- Dr. Spiro co-authored a paper on the idea of combining cosmetic face-lifting with cosmetic facial bone surgery. This article, written in 1995, appeared in the journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- In 1993-1994 Dr. Spiro assisted in the writing and compilation of data, and photography, of various types of rhinoplasty which ultimately led to completion of one of the most complete texts on plastic surgery of the nose. Dr. Spiro wrote the preface to the book and receives special mention in the forward.
- Dr. Spiro, during his Fellowship in plastic surgery co-authored a paper on scientific incisions used in rhinoplasty surgery. This landmark paper marked the culmination of 20 years of a treatment method for cleft lip patients was developed In Miami in the 1970’s. The paper appeared in 1998 in the Journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. It scientifically (for the first time) proves that surgical methods for cleft lip treatment resulted in not only the best cosmetic outcomes but also the best functional results.
- Dr. Spiro was given an award for most influential colleague from the Department of Surgery in 1993.
- Dr. Spiro received the Schulte Award in 1993 from the Department of Surgery at Saint Barnabas. It is given for excellence in surgery