Microneedling Treatment Areas
Microneedling is a non-surgical procedure that creates new collagen and skin tissue for smoother and more toned skin. It involves pricking the skin with small sterilized needles that cause your body to generate more collagen and elastin, which heal your skin and help you look younger. Microneedling is mostly used on the face to treat:
- Acne Scars
- Age Spots (also called “sun spots”)
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Large Pores
- Other Types of Scars
- Reduced Skin Elasticity
- Uneven Skin Tone
Microneedling is a popular option for patients looking for a safe and non-surgical way to reduce the signs of acne scars, enlarged pores, and fine lines around the mouth and eyes. It is also an ideal treatment option for patients with uneven skin tone or rough, sun-damaged skin. However, I do not recommend microneedling for those who:
- Are pregnant
- Are immunosuppressed
- Have open wounds
- Have keloid scars
- Have certain skin diseases, such as eczema or psoriasis
- Recently had radiation therapy
Microneedling Consultation at Spiro Plastic Surgery
Your initial microneedling treatment begins with a consultation. During your microneedling consultation, our staff will review your medical history, evaluate your areas of concern, and talk to you about your cosmetic goals. Once we have gone over your medical history, I examine your face and skin to determine the best treatment plan based on your individual needs. Our aesthetician will determine if they are candidates for the treatment.
How to Prepare for Microneedling
I recommend the following instructions to prepare for microneedling:
- Avoid taking blood thinners or anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen
- Avoid applying or taking Retin-A medication, Retinols, Vitamin A creams, and other topical medications
- Do not exfoliate your skin or get a chemical peel two weeks before your first treatment
- Do not apply any makeup, lotion, or sunscreen on your face on the day of your appointment
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser before your appointment
Microneedling in NJ
Microneedling is performed in-office by our medical aesthetician. Our aesthetician starts the microneedling procedure by cleansing and slightly exfoliating the skin, applying a numbing cream to the treatment area before the treatment. Multiple tiny, sterile needles then puncture the skin and cause physical trauma that prompts the derma (deep layer of skin) to rebuild. There are two non-surgical techniques our aesthetician uses:
What to Expect After Microneedling
You may experience mild swelling, redness, dryness, and itching immediately after your first session, lasting anywhere from one to three days. Improvements in your skin tone, reduced acne visibility, and improved skin texture are some of your initial results. After about four to five treatment sessions, microneedling produces smoother, softer, and more youthful-looking skin, creating new and healthy collagen. It may take four to six weeks after your sessions to see full results.
What Not to Do After Microneedling
It’s important after your sessions that you do not apply makeup 24 hours after microneedling or pick, scratch, or exfoliate your skin for at least three to five days. We also recommend the following post-treatment instructions to follow after your microneedling treatment:
- Avoid exercising, performing strenuous activities, jacuzzis, and saunas for 48 hours to avoid sweating
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, sun tanning, and tanning beds for at least two weeks
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications for one week
- Do not apply ice to your face or use it near the treatment area
- Do not wash your face for at least four to six hours after microneedling
- Do not use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula), or anything perceived as ‘active’ skincare
Microneedling results last anywhere from four to six weeks for most patients. Once you have completed your full treatment series, we can determine what maintenance regimen will work best for your overall skin care goals.
Frequency of Microneedling Treatments
It is recommended to do 3 Microneedling treatments, twice a year. Some people may need more treatments if their concerns are more serious (deep acne scars/wrinkles). SkinPen should be done for life, it is something that should be part of your yearly regime. Results can be seen after just one treatment, but for true results, it is recommended that you do 3 sessions spaced 1 month apart. Depending on the personalized care plan my team and I develop, you may not need to schedule follow-up appointments as frequently.
We are offering microneedling with PRP for $800 a treatment, or you can choose our special package of three treatments with a 15% discount at $2,040. Microneedling without PRP is a $400 treatment or a package of three with a 15% discount at $1,020. If you are interested in learning more about microneedling, please contact us today or schedule a consultation!