Message to My Patients: Our Mission at Spiro Plastic Surgery
I want every patient to know that they are one of a kind. I work tirelessly on their behalf to keep them as safe as possible while simultaneously helping them achieve their desired goals. I infuse an artist’s vision with every surgical plan and procedure. The results speak for themselves, as shown in the before-and-after galleries and testimonials on this site.
My staff and I strive to deliver the highest level of excellence in the care we provide and exceed patient expectations, whether it’s in a surgical procedure or a treatment in our award-winning medical spa. Patients have traveled from more than 25 states and 17 different countries for our surgical treatment because of our results and our affirming approach to care. We want to give everyone an uplifting, transformative experience they’ll remember for the rest of their life.
Learn Why Dr. Spiro Approaches Every Procedure Like a Work of Art
A Conversation with Dr. Spiro
Why or how did you decide on a career in medicine and aesthetic surgery?
I have always had an interest in visual and performing arts and sciences. As I grew through my teens and 20s, I pursued art as a hobby and surgery as a career. Plastic surgery and aesthetics, in particular, became a natural way for me to blend art with the practice of medicine.
What do you find most fulfilling about your work?
Having the opportunity every day to plan and perform aesthetic surgery, is the ultimate expression of what I call “living art.” Using my abilities to make people happy and satisfy long-held goals is particularly satisfying.
What would you like new patients to know about you?
I am a hard worker and a very down-to-earth person. Too many people who have attained the career achievements I have reached are unrelatable and distant. I love people, and there should be more kindness in the world. I want to be a positive influence in patients’ lives.
Dr. Spiro received his M.D. from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School in 1988. He did his surgical internship at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York followed by four more years of general surgery residency, including a chief residency in general surgery at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, NJ, in 1993.
He then went to Miami, Florida, where he completed his plastic surgery training at the University of Miami School of Medicine under the world-famous plastic surgeon Dr. Ralph Millard Jr., M.D. Dr. Spiro chose to add to his training by doing an additional fellowship in craniofacial plastic surgery at Miami Children’s Hospital, Cedars Medical Center, and the University of Miami under S.A. Wolfe M.D. In 1996, Dr. Spiro began his private practice in plastic surgery affiliated with St. Barnabas and has remained in this location for the past 27 years.
As a sign of his commitment to education, Dr. Spiro maintains board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery Inc. and has re-certified his board certification status on two separate occasions over the past 20 years.
Request Your Consultation with Dr. Spiro today!
Recognition / Credentials / Achievements
Dr. Spiro was recognized and voted #1 as the Top Plastic Surgeon in New Jersey.
Dr. Spiro was selected as “Top Doctor” in NJ Monthly Select Surgeons for 2013-2022.
Dr. Spiro was selected as one of NJ Monthly’s Top Doctors the following years: 2007, 2008, 2010-2023.
In 2022, Dr. Spiro won America’s Best Plastic Surgeon awards for Breast Augmentation, Eyelid Surgery, Facelift, Liposuction, and Rhinoplasty
In 2015, Dr. Spiro appeared on the cover of NJ Monthly Top Docs Edition.
In 2015, W Magazine named Dr. Spiro as one of “The Best Plastic Surgeons by Body Part from Around the World” for his abdominoplasty flankplasty procedure.
In 2013, Dr. Spiro was the Diamond Ball Honoree for Excellence in Breast Cancer Reconstruction.
In 2011, Dr. Spiro was selected as one of NJ Savvy’s Top Doctors.
In February 2010, Savvy magazine selected Dr. Spiro as “Best Physician” specializing in plastic surgery in NJ.
In 2009 and 2010, Dr. Spiro was selected by the Consumer Research Council of America as one of America’s Top Surgeons.
In 2008, Castle Connelly Medical LTD named Dr. Spiro one of the nation’s Top Cosmetic Surgeons.
In 2008, Dr. Spiro and his patients participated in a groundbreaking exhibit at APEX Art, NYC, called Plastic Surgery as Art. This exhibit received a noteworthy review in the Sunday NY Times Art Critic Section.
In 2007-2008, Dr. Spiro’s peers elected him for inclusion in Best Doctors in America.
In 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009, Dr. Spiro was listed as one of America’s Top Plastic Surgeons.
In 2006 and 2007, Dr. Spiro voluntarily recertified his boards in plastic surgery as the highest commitment to continued education.
Dr. Spiro has authored numerous papers in the field of General and Plastic Surgery, chapters in text on Plastic Surgery, and was recognized for his assistance in the development and creation of a text in rhinoplasty.
In 1996, Dr. Spiro published a landmark paper on breast reconstruction in the Annals of Plastic Surgery. It discusses the use of the TRAM (transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous) flap for a type of breast abnormality. Dr. Spiro wrote the paper in 1995 during his plastic surgery training at the University of Miami.
Dr. Spiro is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a diplomate of the following:
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Spiro is a member or past member of the following professional organizations:
- American Medical Association
- Alumni Association University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Fellow Southeast Surgical Congress
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Essex County Medical Society
- American Physicians Art Association
- Ralph Millard Plastic Surgery Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate/Craniofacial Association
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- New York Society of Plastic Surgery
- Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons
- New Jersey Plastic Surgery Society
Request Your Consultation with Dr. Spiro today!
Dr. Spiro Has Accomplished the Following:
- Member, Operating Room Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2011-2016
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-2013
- Member, Safety Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-present
- Member, Breast Center Program Leadership, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2009-2016
- Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2007-2011
- Vice Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2003-2006
- In 1995, Dr. Spiro co-authored a chapter on aesthetic and reconstructive facial bone surgery. The chapter, co-authored by Dr. Spiro, appears in Grabb and Smith’s textbook Plastic Surgery. The book is a must-read for all plastic surgical residents and fellows across the country and is one of the most widely published plastic surgery texts.
- Spiro co-authored a paper on the idea of combining cosmetic facelifting with cosmetic facial bone surgery. This article, written in 1995, appeared in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- In 1993-1994, Dr. Spiro assisted in the writing and compilation of data, and photography, of various types of rhinoplasty, which ultimately led to the completion of one of the most complete texts on plastic surgery of the nose. Dr. Spiro wrote the preface to the book and receives special mention in the foreword.
- During his plastic surgery fellowship, Dr. Spiro co-authored a paper on scientific incisions used in rhinoplasty surgery. This landmark paper marked the culmination of 20 years of a treatment method for cleft lip patients. The paper appeared in 1998 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. It scientifically proved for the first time that surgical methods for cleft lip treatment resulted in ideal cosmetic outcomes and functional results.
- Spiro received an award for most influential colleague from the Department of Surgery in 1993.
- Spiro received the Schulte Award for excellence in surgery in 1993 from the Department of Surgery at Saint Barnabas.
Dr. Scott Spiro is a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery of the breast, body contouring, facial aesthetic surgery, and breast cancer reconstruction.